Skip to content

What Should I Do If I Am Accused Of Statutory Rape?

If you are accused of having sex with someone who is underage, or if you think you are being investigated for this crime, the first thing you need to do is to hire an attorney who will go in and investigate the charges, investigate the evidence, and determine how strong the criminal case is against you. The attorney can also attempt to dissuade the prosecution from moving forward with the case. Furthermore, knowing the direction the investigators are taking allows the attorney and you to begin putting together the evidence that might exonerate you, or get the charges against you dropped before there’s even been an indictment.

What Are the Potential Penalties Involved?

In Texas, the punishment for violations of these laws run from between 2 to 20 years, plus the requirement that you register as a sex offender. The penalties vary by state.

Should I Agree to an Interview Before I Have an Attorney?

This is not a good idea. You want an attorney with you when you interview to assure that your rights are protected. Also, you want to be sure that you have guidance in knowing what offers to accept, what questions to answer, and to be sure that you fully understand what’s being asked of you.

What Should I Do If an Officer Attempts to Question Me?

Politely refuse the interview. Let them know that you either have an attorney or that you are in the process of hiring an attorney and that the attorney will be in contact to schedule the appointments and will be with you during the interviews.

How Should I Choose an Attorney?

You should choose an attorney based on six criteria: the experience they bring to the table, their reputation in the legal field; their track record; the advantages they have to offer you for the money you are paying them; how dedicated they are to fighting for the best possible outcome; and how comfortable you feel with them. Ideally you would want to choose an attorney who has experience both as a former prosecutor so that they know the strategies and the time frames that the other side operates under, someone who can work in both federal and state courts so they can represent you regardless of where your case ends up being tried, someone who has a proven track record of success in cases like yours, and someone who can offer you more than just an attorney. You want someone who will go to the mat and fight for your case.

Have a challenging case? Get a free consultation by our experts