John Teakell: Experience You Need
Criminal defense lawyer, John Teakell began his legal career in 1985. He has broad experience as both a state and federal prosecutor and as defense counsel and has handled thousands of cases ranging from misdemeanors to federal death penalty cases. Teakell spent over 12 years in the U.S. Attorney’s Office as a federal prosecutor, most of which was in the Northern District of Texas where he was designated as a bank fraud prosecutor.
In addition to fraud cases, Teakell prosecuted all types of federal crimes in the Northern District of Texas. He also prosecuted extraordinarily large drug trafficking and money laundering cases as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the District of Puerto Rico, as well as federal death penalty cases. Teakell began his career as an Assistant District Attorney and worked as a Senior Trial Counsel for the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, where he prosecuted civil enforcement actions of fraudulent schemes.
Honors, Recognitions, & Commendations
- Named a Texas Super Lawyer in white collar criminal defense (2005-2012), representing the top 5 percent of attorneys in his area of practice in the state.
- Named to Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Texas 2007-2010.
- Highlighted in Forbes magazine in 2010 as the Dallas/Fort Worth area white collar criminal defense attorney.
- As an Assistant U. S. Attorney, John Teakell received numerous commendations from various agencies, including the Director of the FBI.
- Judge – Southern Methodist University Law School Moot Court, Dallas, Texas, 1996.